Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 193: Poached Peaches with Strawberry and Vouvray (Bubbly) Coulis

Sometimes French food doesn't look that amazing. The flavours in today's recipe are delicious: peaches poached in sugar syrup, puréed strawberries mixed with cream and sparkling wine. But in actuality it's promise doesn't live up to its visual self. Maybe it's me. Judge for yourself here. And wow! Have you been watching the Tour. Froome better not be cheating because I am starting to root for him. Go Froomey, you're amazing!

Irene               List_Addict

Because I need to find eighty-eight books to read for the rest of the year, I decided a reading challenge was the way to go. I've gone for the Eclectic Reader Challenge hosted by Shelleyrae at Book'd Out. It gives me twelve books to read. [Because, obviously, I couldn't find twelve on the huge shelf of unread books in my room or the kindle chock-full of e-books. No, I needed to abuse one-click on Amazon. Remember what I was saying about my bad history of resisting impulse.] The idea of the challenge is to read a book from each of twelve genres—designed to get you reading out of your usual genre-box. The categories and the books I am going to read for them are as follows:

1. Translated fiction: The Infatuations by Javier Marias.

2. Historical mystery: Company of Liars by Karen Maitland.

3. Romantic suspense: (this genre sounds awful, but a girl's gotta do ...) The Ugly Duckling by Iris Johansen.

4. Made into a movie: Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorpe (which was the book Die Hard is based on—that I'd like to see in words!)

5. New Adult: (this looks like a genre I wouldn't ordinarily choose either. In a million years. Eek!) Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead. Is it cheating to go the Hunger Games path of this genre rather than the Fifty Shades of Grey route? Please say no.

6. Urban Fantasy: The Blue Blazes by Chuck Wendig. I've been reading his blog; time to read his books.

7. Dystopian: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.

8. Memoir: Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

9. LGBT: Hero by Perry Moore.

10. Action Adventure: The Zombie Room by R.D Ronald.

11. Humour: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. I love the funny science genre.

12. Published in 2013: Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris

Oh dear. That was really hard. I couldn't randomly choose just anything from the genres I am not a fan of and so I trolled until I found something that sounded interesting. It's maybe outside the point of the challenge to do that, but life is, as every single reader without fail knows, too short to read bad books! In the time it took me to choose these books though, I could have read one! Now I just have to start practising writing good reviews rather than things like:'It was fun but the drunk guy annoyed me'.


The Outfit
Dress: Op-shopped
Vest: Op-shopped
Shoes: Irregular Choice


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Getting linky today with:

2013EclecticReader


pleated poppy






>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!