Quantcast

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 261: A Cuckoo's Lesson

Now I search for words I don’t know. You think you are a word nerd? See if you can compete with this. I once heard that an English speaking person knows approximately twenty-thousand words. So what did I do? I set up an Excel spread sheet and started writing down the words I knew to see how many there were. Understandably this experiment proved to be very time consuming and didn’t continue for long. I made it to three hundred and eighty-seven words before I got bored. Did I mention I think I have ADD, or AGFAS? Not heard of the last? A GoldFish’s Attention Span. Anywhoo, on with the wonderous words. This week’s Wonderous Words Wednesday contributions are based on JK Rowling’s The Cuckoo’s Calling. Jo is not usually one for out-of-the-usual words—not counting neologisms from Potter's World of course, all of which will soon feature in Dictionaries anyway—so this weeks words include some cultural references dropped into the text of which I was unaware. Read on, you may see something you already know. Or not?

List_Addict               Irene

Emmeline Pankhurst: (I am ashamed not to know this; bad feminist!) Political activist and leader of the British suffragette movement; instrumental in getting women in the United Kingdom the right to vote in 1918. (Paraphrased from that most relieable source: Wikipedia)
'"A hundred years after Emmeline Pankhurst, a generation of pubescent females seek nothing better than to be reduced to the status of a cut-out paper doll, a flat avatar whose fictionalised adventures mask such disturbance and distress that she threw herself from a third storey window."' (Sphere, pg. 58)


Gibson Girls and Dana: Charles Dana Gibson was an illustrator, active in the late nineteenth, early twentieth century, and famous for drawings of the 'Gibson Girl', an illustration of a woman, said to be the combination of elements of beauty in women, and representing 'the feminine ideal of beauty'. (Ibid: Wikipedia)
'"No. it is not the young woman whose loss we bemoan, for she was no more real to us than the Gibson girls who dripped from Dana's pen."' (Ibid, pg. 58)


oligarch: Don't you love it when dictionaries define something with the same word you are looking up? Not. If I knew (I guessed, but if I really knew) what an oligarchy was, I would not need to look up oligarch. So Dictionary.com's definition of 'one of the rulers in an oligarchy' is, well, silly. An 'oligarchy', then, is a system run by oligarchs; a government, state or organization where just a few individuals or a small class dominate or rule.
'Kentigern Gardens was surely the natural domain of a different kind of rich: Russian and Arab oligarchs; corporate giants, splitting their time between town and their country estates; wealthy spinsters, slowly decaying amidst their art collections.' (Ibid, pg. 68)



The Outfit
Tag-in, Tag-out Project in play, with one item each day carried to the next
Dress: ModCloth
Cardigan (Tag-out): Op-shopped
Jeans (Tag-in): K-Mart
Headscarf: ModCloth; belt of the dress
Boots: Sportsgirl


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Getting linky today with:

pleated poppy




Lena B, Actually


3 comments:

  1. You look great today. Love to go boot scooting with the twang, the bourbon and 100 strangers moving in unison. Takes me back.... they were the days!

    Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard the term Gibson Girls, but when I googled images I recognised them immediately. Great to know, if only I can remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. teal with tan boots..LOVE!! great look. hope you can come link up again with us today, and we have a £50 asos voucher giveaway too!! I hope you can come and enter!xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!