Skip to main content

Day 265: The Red Squiggly Line

Let's talk Feminism. Are you scared? This is not going to be a(n overtly) serious conversation. It's just that sometimes it is the littlest of things that topple the biggest, like termites, or a small drip, over time, on a large rock. Subtleties can belie bigger and bolder endeavours and maintain a status quo without anyone ever realising it. And in this category sits the squiggly red line of 'misspelt' or 'not-known' words in Microsoft Word. One of my (male) literary professors sneered in disbelief when I was silly enough to suggest this out loud for the world to hear, so now, just between you and me, I'm telling you that squiggly line represents a continuing dominance of the patriarchal. And I am sorry to seem harsh, but if you don't believe me, you are fooling yourself a little. The fight is no where near over. And this is one of the battles!

Irene               List_Addict

Let me show you what I mean. Open yourself a word document and type in the following list (copy and paste if you like): 'Virginia Woolfe and Thomas Mann; Nyx and Hypnos; Aristotle and Aristoclea; Helene Cixous and Friedrich Nietzsche; Shirin Ebadi and Cesar Chavez; Sigmund Freud and Sabina Spielrein'. We have a couple of writers with names which are familiar to common nouns, two minor Greek Gods, a couple of ancient philosophers, a couple of modern ones too, both with foreign names, a couple of activists and a pair of workers of the mind with similarly originated surnames. Now I understand that your Word may be configured differently and that your dictionary may have different spellings, but in my version and with my dictionary, the boys in that list are all recognised and the girls are all red-squiggly-lined. You see what I mean? Who controls the little red squiggly line? Somewhere along the line a person makes a decision about a word, decides if it is dictionary-able or not. And that someone has obviously decided, seemingly for no other reason than gender (it would appear), that the males are unquestionable and the females are. Doesn't sound like much; some may even think I am being paranoid and just silly (*shock*), but I think it is emblematic of an underlying misogyny. One that none of us really wants to think about too much or even admit exists. I'm just saying! And I think, in these matters, these little incursions into gender power, we need to adopt Alastor Moody's philosophy—constant vigilance! Whenever you see that red squiggly line, and it refers to a woman, who for no known reason on Earth or the Universe, should be considered unknown—right click, add to Dictionary. We can overcome!


The Outfit
Tag-in, Tag-out Project in play, with one item each day carried to the next
Dress (Tag-in): Myers
Jacket (Tag-out): Op-shopped
Necklace: Lovisa
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Nolita Honey'


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Sharing Linky-lovin' today with:

pleated poppy


Comments

  1. I think the larger issue is that only Virginia Woolfe is a known female, although the squiggly red line plagues even her. I have to admit that if they were listed as random words, other than Woolfe, my own inner squiggly red line marker would have produced the same result, but perhaps that's just because I am a philistine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wondered about that too but I had heard of many of the other females too - although the males did tend to be better known. That is just another issue in my mind though! For example instead of Spielrein being known as a psychologist on her own right, she is more famous for being Jung's (probably hysterical) patient. And in the time Aristoclea was writing, she probably was lucky to survive let alone be recognised. And there, in this email, are two more little squiggly lines so its not just my dictionary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 279: Entertainment and Wishes

I have brain-freeze from a three hours/three hours/ten hours-during-the-day sleeping pattern over the last three days twenty-four hour periods (that ole chestnut, again) and so even though it is not Sunday, I am getting in early and loosening the clenched up brain cells by cheating on topic ideas with Sunday Social. Their link actually goes up tommorrow so be sure to check back and see what everyone else had to say when Sunday eventually does roll around.

Q: What is currently on your wish list?

A: I need nothing. Nothing. So let's talk about want. I want to be able to find some amazing thrifted pieces on my upcoming (eight sleeps) trip to the States. Luck and fate will have a lot to do with it, but I would be very happy to find some, or all, of the following as well: a chambray shirt, a real bomber jacket (just got one that I had different ideas about when I bought it from SheInside—it's really just a fleece jacket), belts, a vintage leather jacket, more tutus, sumptuous f…

Wear 1: Dropped My Shopping.

Day One of three hundred and sixty-five pictures of Irene (left) and I (right) on the internet. We're using it as a way to develop or realise a fashion style, and as a friendly competition as to who wore it better? Like every journey or quest, this year's project will teach me a little, make me think a bit and lend me some laughs and enjoyment. I hope also to slowly make sure everything in my clothes closet and my shoe closet is utilised: even perhaps the bags and boxes of outrageous, or not, op-shopped (thrifted) items secreted in cupboards and under beds. Other hopes: fewer words (believe it or not), more pictures and time to catch up on unfinished blogs from the last three years!



I had my outfit planned, but as I dressed this morning for work, I, well, chickened out. I lost the cape and replaced it with a black cardigan. I thought my work colleagues would think I looked strange and slightly overdressed. Lesson One: I am not brave in person (posting a silly picture on the in…

Day 348: My Favourite Colour

Who: Melanie at Bag and Beret

What: The Travelling Yellow Skirt Freak Show

When: A while ago (have I told you trying to buy a house keeps getting in my way!)

Where: At, around and in the vicinity of ACCA

Why: Do you even have to ask?

Who Else: B—— for the photos, Melbourne Bike Share for the props (although I did pay for that, and we spent so long riding around getting moving pictures that they charged me again so I am not really sure why I am telling you about them: this isn't a plug, except that they are quite cool!)

What the ?: Sunshine incarnate in the form of a yellow skirt travels the world searching for women, bold and beautiful, who make it their own for a day, or a week and share their own take on its joyous light with everyone out there who thinks that being an exceptional individual with the daring and bravado to walk your own way, strut your own stuff and be your own you is a good thing! That's my take on it, but you can read the full story on the link to the skir…