Quantcast

Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 277: It's All Going Digital

Slowly, slowly Oyster is coming our way. I'm excited. I'm not talking about a return to the first world of the shucking industry which apparently has moved to where y-gen will not get bored by the continuous opening up of knobbly shellfish (so many issues in there that I am not going to get into at this stage). I am also not talking about an electronic transit system card which seems to work quite well in London, but had to be reinvented from scratch (it seems) for Melbourne and called Myki (so many issues there too). I am talking about an electronic library of books along the lines of Netflix. For a monthly fee you have unlimited access to, at this stage, over a hundred thousand books. At first it was only on iPhone. Bleep. Don't have one of those. Now it's available on iPad. Yay. I do have one of those. But now I see it is only available to the US. The jump from iPhone only to iPad was fairly quick—since earlier this year I think (well that is when I noticed Oyster first), but I have just been reading about the history of Netflix and after all its time in the game it is also still only available to the North Americans. So maybe my excitement is premature. Like, by about ten years. Oyster, dare you to prove me wrong.

Irene               List_Addict

I finished reading a book on the last electric reading innovation to hit the world (e-book) recently which I haven't finished telling you about. David Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars. I read it for Banned Book week and told you a little about it here, when I hadn't quite completed it. My thoughts still stand. It is a beautifully written book that makes us question our inner-racist. And also the price of doing the right thing. You'll hold your breath for quite a bit of the last part of the book—and I won't tell you whether that breath's release will be a sigh, a grunt or a phew. You'll have to read it yourself. I'm fond of the crucible of the island, a group of people unable or unwilling to leave. That stewing in it's own cut-off community makes for characters who are idiosyncratic and unusual. A sort of concentrated humanity, more powerful. I gave it four stars, and quite a few tears.


The Outfit
Clearing the Closet: It’s time to go lovely lined black skirt that just doesn't feel right
Top: Op-shopped
Jacket: Myers
Skirt (eliminated): Op-shopped
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Whoopi'


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Getting linky today with:

pleated poppy


My Thrifty Chic


button

Trend: Halloween Orange and Black






2 comments:

  1. I just got a Kindle, and I'm learning to love it. I bought one book because it was new and I knew I wanted it (The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - you might like Donna Tartt. I would suggest starting with her first book, The Secret History if you haven't already read it). Next I'm going to set up Library2Go, which our local library is affiliated with. It's free! And Amazon has free classics. So many more books, still so little time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Secret History 18 years ago and still think it's one of the best books I've ever read. Must check out The Goldfinch.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!