Quantcast

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 306: The Boy Next Door

A small miracle happened. I finished a pledged-to-a-reading-challenge book. No. Wait. It is even more exciting than that. I finished it during the challenge! I know. Me too. Shocked. But reading is getting much more of a look in this year. To the detriment of blogging. My couch is so appealing. It lets me sit on it and play Candy Crush, read people's blogs and read books on my Scribd account. I'm having trouble getting other things done. But I got 'Romantic Comedy' from Book'd Out's Eclectic Reader Challenge 2014 done, and here it is:

Meg Cabot's The Boy Next Door.


Irene               List_Addict

I love to watch Romantic Comedies: I've not really ever read them. Bridget Jones's Diary excepted. This is what I like dislike like about a challenge that shoves a boot into your backside and pushes you out of your comfort genres. Why don't I read Romantic Comedies? I think I like my reading to be more 'thought provoking' and I surmise (probably unfairly) that the genre won't supply that. For 'easy reading' I go to crime or suspense. I do the same when I want to watch something that allows my brain to just absord rather than interpret. Maybe I like the macarbe rather than the delightful. Maybe I am a glass-half-empty kind of girl. Maybe I think Romantic Comedy is just too 'nice'.

The Boy Next Door suckered me in and spat me out at the other end as marginally converted. It did that first by being epistolary. Written entirely through emails. Cleverly. It portrayed character, relationship, tone and action without ever putting two people together on the same page. Being a heavy subscriber to the word-quirky, I was won over immediately. Then it threw in several sub-plots—including suspense. If you are still reading this I am guessing you know what you are getting into and so I don't need to tell you that plot-outlining spoilers follow. Perpetually late Gossip columnist and Winona Ryder afficionado, Mel, is late again to work after she finds her cranky and elderly neighbour assaulted and unconscious in the flat next door. While her neighbour lies in a coma, someone has to look after her pets, and if Mel is to keep her job, she needs to get hold of her neighbour's nephew. The nephew turns out be quite the catch for jaded-in-the-boy-department Mel. But is he all he appears to be? And is there something more to what happened to the neighbour in the first place? There is a serial murderer running around NYC after all. Sure, it was a little twee. A tab predictable. A smidge cheesy. And possessing of a typically Rom-Com ending. But I gleefully picked up my iPad and hit the Scribd app at any possible opportunity. That's not a bad thing. I don't know how quickly I will jump on the Rom-Com reading wagon again, but I am not as cynical as I was.

Okay. it's not so much a review as a conversation with the Internet: I'm not a traditional reviewer. Check out more Eclectic Reader Challenge 2014 reviews here if you after more great reading ideas.

The Outfit
Clearing the Closet: Yellow Singlet. I'm getting desperate
Dress: Op-shopped
Singlet: Retail
Jacket: Thrifted, Savers Las Vegas, Nevada
Necklaces: Retail
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Can Can'


Photographer de Jour: Moi——


Who Wore It Better?



Linky today with:

eclecticchallenge2014



KimbaLikes


STYLELIXIR Style Sessions


pleated poppy


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book despite yourself!
    Thanks for sharing your Eclectic Reader Challenge review

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the most amazingly eclectic collection of shoes I think I might have seen!

    Thanks for joining Wardrobe Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!