Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Day 352: Three—Past, Present and Future

Okay. Let's try this without Irene ...

The eighties girl in me has a thing for white shoes. These were bought for a ball when I was a travel agent a few years ago (ra, ra, ra). When I bought them I had a badly twisted ankle. Again. It is never a fabulous idea to buy shoes when you have a foot injury. Especially shoes on an insanely thin metal stiletto. Ironically, even though my foot is better (well, not since I twisted it again a couple of weeks ago), I haven't been able to walk in them as well as I did during that ball. Did alcohol help? Stunning white and silver shoes which are great for sitting in! Three.

New Year, or close enough, is a time for reflection and contemplation. And for the use of graphs. Combining the two, here are my reading achievements for 2014. You will notice that, once again, the total number of completed challenges is zero. Finishing is over-rated. Reading is a journey—I like to think of challenges rather as quests.

Goodreads Challenge 2014

Everything I read for the year. Forty-six books.

45.5%
0
101 Books



Book'd Out's Eclectic Reader Challenge 2014

The Boy Next Door; Meg Cabot
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards; Lilian Jackson Braun
Gone Girl; Gillian Flynn

25%
0
12 Books



Giraffe Days' Around the World in Twelve Books Challenge 2014

Kabu, Kabu; Nnedi Okorafor (Africa)
The Terminal Man; Mehran Karimi Nasseri and Azndrew Donkin (The World, or No Place)

16.7%
0
12 Books



Semi Charmed Kind of Life Summer Book Challenge 2014

A Rogue By Any Other Name; Sarah MacLean
The Man in the High Castle; Phillip K Dick
The Name of this Book is Secret: Psuedonymous Bosch
Gone Girl; Gillian Flynn
The Hanging Valley; Peter Robinson
Highland Surrender; Tracy Brogan

46.1%
0
13 Books





Four quests have still a couple of months to go. (Or forever). Here are a few more graphs:

ToB (Tournament of Books)(until March sometime)

Some portion of one book: The Signature of All Things; Elizabeth Gilbert

6.0%
0
17 Books



Book Journey's Harry Potter ReRead (until 31st March)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

28.5%
0
7 Books



Semi Charmed Kind of Life Winter Book Challenge 2014 (until 28th February)

Dolores Claiborne; Stephen King
Knots and Crosses; Ian Rankin

15.3%
0
13 Books



A to Z (My Own Challenge to myself in which I read a book beginning with each letter of the alphabet: Started December 1st, 2014; Finished Whenever)

Abducted; TR Regan
(The) Beach House; James Patterson
(The) Cat Who Could Read Backwards; Lilian Jackson Braun
Dolores Claiborne; Stephen King

15.3%
0
26 Books





And I might as well get all the book stuff over and done with by telling you the quests I am doing this year. Including the one I am not!

Any Semi Charmed Kind of Life Challenge that comes along!

TBA

Book'd Out's Eclectic Book Challenge 2015

  • Retellings (of fairytale, legends or myth)
  • A book set in a country starting with the letter S (eg. Sweden, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Slovakia)
  • PI Crime (fiction featuring a private investigator)
  • A novel published before you were born
  • Contemporary romance
  • Fiction for foodies (fiction featuring food/food related business)
  • Microhistory (Non Fiction)
  • Science Fiction set in space
  • Sports (Fiction or Non fiction)
  • Featuring diversity
  • Epistolary Fiction (fiction written in the format of letters/emails/diary entries)
  • Middle Grade/YA Adventure

They write books about sport? How dreadful! Oooh, actually. Tour de France is a sport isn't it?

A (more) "Sensible" Goodreads Challenge 2015

My Goal: 53 Books

* Updated 30 June due to being ahead of schedule: 65 Books

Bookmark to Blog 2015 Monthly Key Word Challenge

In which you choose a book with one of these words in the title each month.

JAN- Bird, Girl, Ever, Silence, Bad, Truth, End: The Tattooed Girl by Joyce Carol Oates
FEB- Key, Water, Lie, Chase, Heir, Once: The Lie by Chad Kultgen
MAR- Kind, Face, Power, City, Blue, Night, To: Same Kind of Different As Me byRon Hall and Denver Moore
APR- Dream, Prince, Long, Wind, Rose, The, Rock: Dreamland by Kevin Baker
MAY- Ash, Road, Thief, Bend, In, Far: The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland
JUN- My, Together, Whisper, Win, Soul, Sleep: My Notorious Life by Kate Manning
JUL- Sun, Unto, Energy, Fate, High, Look
AUG- Fall, Boy, Glass, Heart, Lost, Now
SEP- Color, Touch, Life, Day, How, Sweet
OCT- Ghost, Home, Beach, Away, Test, Number
NOV- Rise, Holiday, And, Little, Call, Dark
DEC- Space, Mirror, Over, Flower, Trap, Cold

And lastly. Because I don't want to go crazy with this book challenge thing (too late!)

Avant Ciera 2015 Let Me Count the Ways Reading Challenge

In which you count the number of pages you read each month. I would love to go for Gold (4001-6000). I think Silver is a more realistic but still stretchy target. But like CS Lewis says, and I paraphrase*, you are never to old to set yourself unrealistic and unachievable dreams to aim for. It is countered by W Clement Stone's quote about aiming for the moon and hitting some stars if you miss. Gold it is!

*The quote actually reads: You are never to old to set another goal or dream a new dream.

  • January: 1887 pages
  • February: 2491 pages
  • March: 2436 pages
  • April: 3197 pages
  • May: 3973 pages
  • June: 1951 pages
  • July:
  • August:
  • September:
  • October:
  • November:
  • December:


P.S: Just realised (by reading the comments!) that this is a yearly goal, not a monthly. So I am down for 'Multi Diamond' (a girl can't have enough diamonds!) which is 10000+ pages. That's me.

But what I most definitely am not doing, no matter what, no. For sure no. Absolutely not doing. Is the Goodreads Seasonal Challenge. Oh yeah. On the surface it looks fabulous. Such alluring and convaluted categories. Such unusual and unique ways to choose books. I started. The Winter challenge runs December 1st to February 28. But it is a logistics nightmare. I got myself a name, I posted the books I had squeezed into the categories. Bump-Pow! I had to run through three hundred pages of comments to find what had gone wrong: you didn't post including your name which isn't the same as your profile (more idiot me!). I re-posted. Bump-pow! Seven hundred pages of comments to sift through to find that there were no links to the books on my post. Duh! The i-Pad version of Goodreads doesn't give you the option to link the books. And seeing as ninety percent of my internet-action is i-Pad, I have popped this straight into the too hard basket and then cleared the basket. Not happening.

I may have found something way worse though. And I am doing this one. In fact, I am putting it over there in the side bar. Via the already counting Avanti Ciera to the source at Butterfly Feet: Read a Million Pages in your Life Time! That is a list no List_Addict can resist. I have made a spreadsheet to try and account for all reading prior to my Goodreads account in 2012. When I get to the point where I have to think too hard about whether I have read any given book or not I will call that number, plus the last three years on Goodreads my 'to date' and go from there. I am not decided yet if the inter-world needs a full list. I am sure that (1) no-one cares, and (2) no-one will notice its absence or presence amongst all the other stuff out there so I'll decide on that later.

Epic post. I am sure many of you gave up after looking at the pictures. I, however, have my head around challenges and a valid and solid reason why I never finish any of them. How do bloggers get anything done if blooging takes so long? Retorical. I don't want to know where so many succeed and I dismally fail!! Have a great reading year!


The Outfit
Dress with Belt: Op-shopped
Jacket: Thrifted, USA
Necklace: Retail
Bracelet: Op-shopped
Shoes: Urban Soul


Photographer de Jour: V——


Getting linky today with:

pleated poppy






KimbaLikes


1 comment:

  1. Glad to have you rejoining the challenge! I look forward to seeing what you choose to read

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!