Day 246: Carry-Over Champion

Just to get back to fashion again for a moment. My standpoint on fashion is mixed. I like clothes. I like shopping as long as it is in a thrift shop or an op-shop, or online. I cannot stand retail shopping though—unless it is for shoes. I don't like to be dictated to regarding what I should be wearing, but I follow the trends in stolen glimpses at trashy and trendy magazines. I hate the exploitation and the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a name; I love to get a designer item in a lucky second-hand shopping trip. I hate judgement and comparison and superficiality, but I love colour and feel and texture and craftsmanship. We all have to wear stuff. It's a bit of an expected and regulated social rule. I am so glad that my taste and proclivities direct me towards thrifting. Thrifting has all the benefits. Bargain prices. You get more for less, always. You can find things that are en-trend, but don't look like they came from a rack of identical twin sisters. And you aren't afraid to get out scissors and thread and chop up a thrifted item to make it more contemporary. If you have, or make, time, and not like you would be with a new Chanel jacket, for example. And you are sustainable. Don't all get into thrifting please. It will spoil it for us already in the game. But it's a good thing when fashion isn't just about designers and high street stores.

List_Addict               Irene

Playing the sustainability card a little, in amongst my op-shopping sprees, I have decided to do some tag-team dressing for an undisclosed amount of time. It may mean less washing than everything prior to this on the blog has occassioned, as it means wearing things a little longer before they hit the laundry basket. So from today until, well, whenever, I am taking one item from each outfit into the next day—like a game-show's carry-over champion. I think it will be fun and make me look at my wardrobe in yet another light. Hope you enjoy it too.

I learned something about myself this week. I'm apparently less easy to embarrass than I have been in the past. Maybe it's from posting pictures of myself on the internet in some quite ridiculous outfits for two hundred and fourty-six days, maybe it's that I just don't care; maybe I feel more comfortable. I have this ongoing day-time vision of walking through the control room floor at work in my crazy shoes and BANG! just hitting the deck because I have twisted an ankle or turned a foot. I did it! In my sneakers. One minute I felt the little catch on the carpet, next minute I was flat on my back looking up at work colleagues and lamenting a broken nail. No blushes, no anxiety attack. It was quite comfy down there. Now. Now is a different matter. I may be more psychologically able to take a fall but my muscles and bits are hurting like hell. At least I don't have to fear the vision anymore, and I am more justified to wear heels—sneakers are dangerous.


The Outfit
Dress (Tag-in): Op-shopped
Sweatshirt: Beachport, South Australia, at the local milk bar on an unprepared for, very cold day
Leggings: Target
Shoes: Irregular Choice


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Making friends today with:



>

Comments

  1. Great outfit and post.

    I love charity shopping and the feeling when you get a bargain, better than any shop prices ha. I like how you have put a sweatshirt with a skirt, I love to be warm but never thought of this before,, yeah off to mix it up a bit in my wardrobe...

    Thanks for joining us at Share your style Saturdays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming over! Can't wait to see what you come up with, and to see your new IC shoes!

      Delete
  2. I've always said runners are worse than high heels. I only ever get blisters wearing runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I got a blister for the first time in ages the other day - in my Docs! Heels are the solution. Ask Posh Spice.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more about thrifting or consignment shopping. The more I do it, the more I like it and the less I like retail. I wrote a post on this very same subject that will go up this week about value.

    So sorry you took a tumble at work. Sounds like you don't embarrass easily though. I'd have been beet red for the rest of the day.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I lay on the carpet I thought about that. I was really surprised after all the anxiety about it that I was NOT embarrassed. Maybe by thinking about it so often I had already overcome it? Can't wait to see your post. I'll keep an eye out. Xx

      Delete
  4. I absolutely agree! Op-shopping is like a treasure hunt, it's amazing how much waste there is in the world, but if there wasn't, we wouldn't be to Op-Shop! It's a double edged sword...great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - and that is so right: a double edged sword!!

      Delete
  5. Great outfit. I get such a thrill from thrifty fashion shopping. I never fail to come home with something I love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a thrill!! Thanks so much for coming over to visit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts