Day 259: It's Official—I'm a Lost Cause

Because yesterday was so twenty-four-hours-ago, things may have gone slightly off course. This has happened for two reasons. I finally started watching what everyone in the universe, except B——, has already seen, True Blood, and, I read some blogs. The first meant that despite my crafted piles and my dedication to decrease their numbers, I bought another book. Well, three. The Omnibus was cheaper. I got the first three Sookie Stackhouse novels to see if the books are as fun as the series. Pile got bigger. And then, in the second instance, I found this: Semi Charmed Kind of Life's Autumn Reading Challenge (SCABRC13). And I added thirteen more books to the pile. Serendipitously I could tie one Sookie bookie into the challenge, so technically there are only a total of fifteen more, rather than sixteen. Small mercies.

It seems the closer I get to the end of the year, the more books I think I am going to be able to read. Where did my logic go?

And I am trying really hard to read books I already own. So all in all I only purchased three. That was some sort of restraint. Anyone seeing denial here?

You can see the fifteen book, fog-infested highway type, disasterous pile-up below. The number at the beginning is the number of point you get for reading the applicable book. The one with the most points first wins. Your three months start, NOW!

List_Addict               Irene

  • 5: Read a book that does not have "the," "a" or "an" in the title. Airframe by Michael Crichton (431 pages).
  • 10: Read a book that has been featured in Oprah's Book Club. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Erin.) The Road by Cormac McCarthy (304 pages).
  • 10: Read a book that takes place in the state where you currently live. If you do not live in the U.S., read a book that takes place in the country where you live. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Megan.) Australia, so I thought I would like to see Bill Bryson's take: In a Sunburnt Country (335 pages).
  • 15: Read an epistolary novel, which is a book written in letters, emails, diary entries or other documents. Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, which blessedly also has the full title ending: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable. This sounds distinctly OuLiPo, and I'm guessing I will love it. Very happy discovery. (226 pages).
  • 15: Read a book first published in 2013. Night Film by Marisha Pessl (587 pages).
  • 15: Read a book with something spooky in the title. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Bev.) Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Steven King. Oh, yeah, good idea. Take on a challenge where you can choose the books, and then choose one 864 pages long. It just had to be more than two hundred you know?
  • 20: Read a book with "air," "water," "earth" or "fire" in the title. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Gypsi.) The Waterworks by E.L Doctorow (272 pages).
  • 20: Read a book on which a television series has been based (e.g. Orange is the New Black, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, Friday Night Lights, etc.). Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (True Blood, 292 pages).
  • 25: Read a fiction book that has someone’s first and last name in the title (e.g. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Bridget Jones's Diary, etc.). The Brief Wondorous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz (335 pages).
  • 30: Read two books by the same author. They can be in the same series, but do not have to be. Co-authors do not count (i.e. the author must be the sole author of each book). Choke (293) and Invisible Monsters Remix (302) by Chuck Palahniuk.
  • 35: Read a fiction and nonfiction book about the same topic. (Example: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Woman Who Wasn't There are both about 9/11.) This is actually quite difficult to do. I have chosen, and hopefully this is close enough to qualify, two books which argue about the existence, or non-existence, of God: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (406 pages) and The Book Against God by James Wood (272 pages).



The Outfit
Tag-in, Tag-out Project in play, with one item each day carried to the next
Dress, as Skirt(Tag-in): Op-shopped
T-shirt (Tag-out): K-Mart
Chambray shirt: K-Mart
Belt: Retail
Necklace: Lovisa
Shoes: Alberto Piazza


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Checking things out at:



STYLELIXIR Style Sessions


button

This week's Trend: Dresses and Skirts


Comments

  1. Reading is extremely beneficial for the Mind. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could tie two more Sookie bookies in if you use them for the "written by the same author" category! :) Thanks for joining my challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought about that and then I thought it may be cheating (cheating me out of another book that is, because I will probably read the other Sookie bookies anyway! Anything to get another book on the pile - you hear my addiction I am sure.) Thanks again for the challenge. It's a fun one. I've been thinking of lots of categories even though there is not a chance I will complete the challenge :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts