Day 254: A Word A Day

Do you do this? You're reading along (yes, it's about reading again!), and there it is, a word you have no clue about. What do you do? Do you stop and look it up, or click through on your Kindle to see what it means, or do you just infer a meaning given the context of the rest of the sentence or paragraph. It isn't that often that a word stops all meaning and enjoyment, but it is also a really good way to learn new words without actually resorting to reading the dictionary or buying an 'A Word A Day' calender. So I am starting to pay attention, learn a few words and join in with Bermuda Onion's Wonderous Words Wednesday. Learnt a new word this week? Why don't you come over and have a look.

Irene               List_Addict

Only found two this week while I was reading Snow Falling on Cedars, and maybe y'all know what they mean already, but I wasn't so sure:

Frisson: A thrill, a sudden feeling of excitment or fear.
'The reporters lean forward to ogle her. A frisson of interest runs through the assembled crowd.'

Smirr: Drizzly rain, I am guessing that kind where it doesn't so much fall from the sky as hang in mid-air and make everything damp.
I can't find the actual quote so I'll make up a sentence: Despite no obvious drops, a walk through the smirr had the same affect on my set curls as diving into a swimming pool.


The Outfit
Tag-in, Tag-out Project in play, with one item each day carried to the next
Dress/Top (Tag-in): Op-shopped
Waistcoat (Tag-out): Op-shopped
Socks: Sock Dreams
Boots: Hunter


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Getting linky today with:

Thrifters Anonymous


STYLELIXIR Style Sessions


Comments

  1. I love learning new words. I just learned smirr as well, thank you very much. But what horrifies me is when I discover I've been mispronouncing a word for my whole life. For example, I was saying scofflaw like it rhymes with no-law when really it rhymes with cough-blah. Mortified!
    You look awesome today, way better than Irene, poor woman. Love those socks and that ring thing-a-ma-thing (new word).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!!! And thanks for teaching me a new word and how not to sound like an idiot saying it, both at the same time!! More than real words though, I do love a made-up one. Thing-a-ma-thing will eventually, from abundant use, lose its hyphens and be thingamathing, then after a while longer thingmthing. And it'll be one: thanks to you, and two: always pronounced wrong!

      Delete
  2. I guess your boots would be perfect for the smirr. Hey...this is telling me that smirr isn't even a word! LOL Spell check!

    Love the shade of those boots.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are perfect smirr boots. I had trouble finding it, at first, in the dictionary. Not surprised about spell check - nutty thing. You have reminded me of something and given me an idea for a post! Star!!!

      Delete
  3. You can look up words on Kindle? I'm thinking about getting one, so that's another mark on the plus side. Because I usually just keep reading unless the unknown word seems to be crucial to figuring out who the killer is.

    Love the outfit, and especially the boots - such a cool color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the unknown word often crucial to knowing who the killer is? That is so funny!! I love my Kindle. Didn't think I would but I do!

      Delete
  4. What a fun idea for a post! One of my favorite things about my Kindle is how easy it is to look up words. I'm fascinated by linguistics, so even if I know the definition of a word, I'll look up its exact meaning if I think the connotation is a little off in the context haha. Word nerd alert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say "Word Connoisseur"! Thanks so much for visiting!!

      Delete
  5. I had an idea with frisson but smirr is new to me. I could have used it this summer when we had rain or smirr just about every day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts