Day 271: Bad Books

Can you read anything? Or do you have specific types of books or genres that you stick to. No. Matter. What. What about if you start something and find you don't like it? Do you take the book mark out, close the offending item and find a better place for that bookmark to be? I am fairly open to newness and diversity and difference, but not as open as I think. For example I don't like war based fiction (unless it is against zombies), or Romance/Drama, or Historical sagas or Jodi Picoult. I am so mean to Jodi Picoult, and one day I will actually try one of her books. But, I never give up! If one of those genres or subgenres hits my reading deck, I will persist. I may even enjoy. The one exception was August 1914 by Alexander Solzhenitsyn: a library book that I had to return because my time was up, and which I conveniently forgot to ever borrow again (history, saga, and war!). I am a Solzhenitsyn fan though, so I may be back. Sometime. Somelife. I think that you can learn something from every book, even the really bad ones. Ultimately what a bad book teaches you—and it's a heavily underrated lesson—is how not to write a bad book. That said, here is my latest book review. *smile*

List_Addict               Irene

Louise Welsh's The Girl on the Stairs: [*spoiler alert—it's hard not to*] I had high hopes (bad move) of this novel with its alluring sub-heading: A Masterful Psychological Thriller. I have just read, courtesy of Wikipedia, that the Guardian/Observer review for this book (see it here for a 'real' review) likened it to a combination of The Yellow Wallpaper and Rear Window. Amazingly astute. And I am glad, again, that I didn't read that prior to the actual book: my expectations would have increased exponentially, and the disappointment in the text would have created an even larger gap. It does have elements of those two great stories: a 'hysterical' confinement, psychosis, obsession, voyeurism, suspicion, paranoia. But there is something about it that doesn't work. Unlikeable characters? A repetitive basis for what seems unjustifiable paranoia? A denouement which then justifies the protagonist's fears but isn't substantiated or clarified? I think I would have preferred it if she had actually been wrong all along. That ending would have elevated all the paranoia and erratic behaviour to a meaningful level. Hey, I would have found that a good book! Just my opinion. Good reads has it at 3.31 stars. It got two from me.


The Outfit
Tag-in, Tag-out Project in play, with one item each day carried to the next
Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood, And I Chose the Pink Pants for they Wanted Wear
Dress: Op-shopped
Kimono (Tag-in—Option One): Op-shopped
Pants (Tag-out): Kmart
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Oh Matron'


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Getting linky today with:

Join us! Click the Spotlight




Comments

  1. Interesting post. I'll give most genres ago (yes, even Jodi Picoult, sorry) but draw the line at exotica, sports related stuff. As for finishing a book? With a TBR pile that is taller than I am you'd think I'd be able to put down a book I wasn't enjoying and move onto the next one. But oh no, totally stubborn in this respect, once started I have to see a book through to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get beyond a poorly-written book, if I can't plow through it, it is sent back to the Great Thrift Shop Beyond.

    Popped by from Vis Monday

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you!!! I always admire people who have this conviction. There is, after all, not enough time for Bad Books.

      Delete
  3. I'll read almost anything, but I have a TERRIBLE time with not finishing a book. I feel like I must, even if I hate it and it takes me weeks and weeks. I should get over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I wish I wasn't that way. But never mind. Thanks so much for visiting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts