Day 253: Do I Talk About Books Too Much?

It's time for the over-arching, monthly look at all things bookish better known as Literary Junkies' Link Party. Do I talk about books too much? Sorry, but to continue ...

Q: What are you currently reading? Tell us about it.

A: The pile (this thing explained here), has taken on a new shape. I'll be telling you about it when I talk more about books later in the week. But the ins and outs of the pile are still the easiest way for me to tell you about what I'm reading right now. Five books were added to the pile this month: Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day (yes, I am scared); David Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars (a hint of what I think about this here); Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (I heart non-fiction quirkily done: hoping this will be one, but I haven't quite started yet); Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale (read here for why); and; Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire (I'm re-reading the series).


Q: Autumn is coming! What’s your go-to drink when curling up with a book at night?

A: Probably a bit late in the day, and not overly imaginative, but I can't go past reading with a fresh brewed, real coffee. And a chocolate biscuit.


List_Addict               Irene

Q: Printed books vs. e-books: What are the pros and cons of each?

A: Printed: smell, heft, texture. e-Book: access, mobility, de-clutter. I'll be keeping both forms.


Q: Buying books vs. library books: Which do you prefer and why?

A: I used to borrow. A lot. But books got cheaper. Now the structure of the pile and my inability to walk out of selected places with only one thing (book stores, video stores, shoe stores, thrift stores, libraries) mean that I both have too much that I own to read, and too long a reading cycle to borrow. There is talk of this thing called Oyster. It's currently only available on iPhone, but hopefully, once they have taken it for a ride and seen what it can do, and fixed any bugs, it'll come to iPad too. For $9.95 a month you have access to thousands of books on a borrowing basis, unlimited, with new books available all the time. For that I may consider going back to library type systems.



The Outfit
Tag-in, Tag-out Project in play, with one item each day carried to the next
Shirt (which is actually a coat, Tag-out): Op-shopped
Waistcoat (Tag-in): Op-shopped
Skirt: Op-shopped
Necklace: David Jones
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Spat Attack'


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Making friends today with:



Pink Heels Pink Truck


stillbeingmolly


Comments

  1. I reckon you are due for a new Book real soon just in case you run out of things to read in the middle of the Night.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. It would be a disaster!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Charlie, Many thanks for stopping by Pen and Paper, it was interesting to read your thoughts on the banning of books.

    Nice to meet you, I've enjoyed my visit to your site. Happy reading. PW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone else in the linkup mentioned Snow Falling on Cedars as a book they had been recommended to read. I think it was Kate from Another Clean Slate. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts