Wear 365: Two Thousand and the One After Fifteen Challenges

In a more synchronised world, I would have co-ordinated pair-of-shoes-I-own number fifteen (fabulous green gingham, plastic bows, rose bud fastenings, sky high platforms—my gorgeous Love Bugs) with this (not so) new year and the book challenges that will be pursued in it. But my world isn't synchronised. I wrote the last post about how I read last year; this post is about how I will read this one. After this we can get back to talking about other things besides books for a while. (If we have to.)

The challenges I will be really working hard to achieve this year are:

Goodreads:

Whereby I try to better the year before.

Target: 90 Books



2016 Eclectic Reader Challenge hosted by Book'd Out:


Whereby I long to finish this always interesting, boundary expanding challenge.

A book about books (fiction or nonfiction): The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon

Serial killer thriller: I'm Travelling Alone by Samuel Bjork

Paranormal romance: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (yep, I'm finally reading it!)

A novel set on an island: Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

Investigative journalism (non fiction): TBA

Disaster fiction: TBA

Steampunk sci fi: Empire State by Adam Christopher

Any book shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize: TBA

Psychology (non fiction): The Empathy Exams by Leslie Jamison

Immigrant Experience fiction: TBA

YA historical fiction: TBA

A debut author in 2016: TBA


Mount TBR Challenge over at My Readers Block


Whereby I exercise while reading. No? Okay. Whereby I try to get the 1:2, Read to Unread bookshelf ratio to reverse and attempt to make a massive dint in my Kindle

I'm going to Canada with the hope I may reach Turkey, or even Tanzania

Mt Vancouver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile. (My Minimum)

Mt Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR pile. (My Hope)

Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from you TBR pile. (My Stretch)



Goodreads Awards Challenge hosted by Books of Amber


Whereby I destroy the good work of the last challenge by buying(!), and reading, the best books of 2015 according to the folks who vote over at Goodreads

The Categories I am aiming to conquer:

Best Young Adult Fiction: Tier 2 (3-5 books)

Best Young Adult Fantasy: Tier 4 (9-10 books)

Fiction: Tier 3 (6-8 books)

Mystery and Thriller: Tier 4

Science Fiction: Tier 3 (6-8 books)

Fantasy: Tier 2

Horror: Tier 2

Nonfiction: Tier 2

Debut Goodreads Author: Tier 3

And one to challenge me because everything else I love,

History and Biography (eek!): Tier 2 (OMG!)


The Monthly Key Word Challenge found nestling at My Soul Called Life

[The lovely Purple Circle of Linky-ness should go here but I get an HTML error message when I try to do it: Let me know if there is a fix Claudia—I can't find one myself :)]

Whereby great books befall me because the only reason they are chosen is a random (or not so) word

Jan: crowd, girl, the bad, soul, soft - Living Dead GIRL by Elizabeth Scott

Feb: veil, kiss, her, break, love, stars - Scandal Becomes HER by Shirlee Busbee

Mar: game, fire, darkness, school, like, change - A Deeper DARKNESS by JT Ellison

Apr:

May:

June:

July:

August:

September:

October:

November:

December:



The Prequel and Sequel Challenge hosted by Novel Heartbeat and Writer Grrl Reads


Whereby I embrace prequels and sequels instead of not wanting to start because I know it will stop!

1 point for a prequel or sequel novella read and reviewed

2 points for a prequel or sequel full length book read and reviewed

10 points for finish a whole series (rules apply)

No points for the first book of the series

Given I am notoriously bad at reviewing, but don't want to seem like a Newbie, I'm going for Amateur: 25-50 points




My Iteration of The Morning News Tournament of Books (ToB)

Whereby, each March, noted people argue, like fighting chickens, for the best of a series of books randomly voted on by someone, to see which will be the winner. And whereby I then, over the following year (or last month, given I wasted the other eleven reading other things), read them. Totally arbitrary challenge I gave myself.

2015 Books: To be finished by March 2016

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
Adam by Ariel Schrag
All the Birds, Singing by Evie Wyld
A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Wittgenstein Jr by Lars Iyer
The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
A Brave Man Seven Storeys Tall by Will Chancellor
Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill
Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel
An Untamed State by Roxanne Gay
Redeployment by Phil Klay
Silence Once Begun by Jesse Ball
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante

2016 Books: To be finished by March 2017 (or 3/17 for those in the know)

The New World by Chris Adrian and Eli Horowitz
The Sellout by Paul Beatty
Bats of the Republic by Zachary Thomas Dobson
The Turner House by Angela Flournoy
Fate and Furies by Lauren Groff
Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
Ban en Banlieue by Bhanu Kapil
The Story of My Teeth by Valeria Luiselli
The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra
The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
The Whites by Richard Price
Oreo by Fran Ross
The Book of Aron by Jim Shepard
The Invaders by Karolina Waclawiak
A Little Life by Hanya Yangihara
Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving
A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler



Any Semi Charmed Kind of Life Reading Challenge that comes up

Whereby I hang out for Winter and Summer to participate.

TBA


My Own Alphabet Challenge

Whereby I finish 'I' and advance through the rest of the alphabet with no considerations regarding time.


And lastly, because it has to end somewhere, the one I always say I don't want to do and do anyway:

Goodreads Seasonal Reading Challenge

Whereby I will read the instructions properly and post early so I can fix up my mistakes, in order to get more points than I ever have before, and even, maybe, finish.

Winter Reading Challenge: Dec, Jan, Feb: Ongoing at time of post with many, many books to read for a hopeful 435/1185 points. Thank goodness for the extra day this year.

Spring Reading Challenge: Mar, Apr, May

Summer Reading Challenge: Jun, Jul, Aug

Fall Reading Challenge: Sep, Oct, Nov

Winter Again Reading Challenge: Dec, Jan, Feb




The Outfit
Dress: Asos
Top: Op-shopped
Scarf: Op-shopped
Brooch: Handmade by my bestie, B——
Shoes: Irregular Choice, Love Bug


Photographer de Jour: V——


Getting linky today with:

 
Patti at Not Dead Yet Style


Catherine at Not Dressed as Lamb


Lindsey at The Pleated Poppy


And of course, all the Book Bloggers mentioned above:

Book'd Out
My Reader's Block
Books of Amber
My Soul Called Life
Novel Heartbeat
Writer Grrl Reads

Comments

  1. Good luck to you on your challenges too! I really liked Fates and Furies, but my book club hated it. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 90 books is quite the target to hit! I've yet to set a goal that high, perhaps after my littles are in their teens? :)

    I checked the html code for the Keyword RC button and it seems to work on my end. . .you could always save a copy of the image to your desktop, upload it into your media files and go insert it into your post :)

    On another note, I'm so glad you decided to join the Keyword RC community!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts