Day 29: Home

I have a theory regarding relationships that goes like this: the best way to 'eff' them up is to live together. I held it mainly in regards to romantic relations. But I think it refers to all the relationships we have—lovers, family, friends, room-mates. It would be an environmental nightmare, but socially I think we would all get on better if we lived alone. You're too close to things when you have no way of stepping out of them. You forget that total exposure means seeing the good and the bad of people. And people need a space where they can have their bad: the blue, the tired, the slovenly, the fed-up. Human nature kicks in, then, with its selective memory, and the bad seems so much to outweigh the good. We forget moments where home is enjoyable. Early morning conversations, walks, cups of tea, caustic (but always constructive, of course) criticism of dance, singing, cooking, modelling or english teeth. The lack or scarcity of external, organised events tends to negate moments of nowness that are rich in themselves. It is maybe easier to be beatific with people when we don't see them all the time. Familiarity has weight, where the novelty of even a little absence is more enlivening.

Irene               List_Addict

But we do live with people. And we build enormous, complicated histories with them. I don't know how you introduce the lightness of space back into those relationships. 'Date Night' type scenarios seem to feel more obligatory than joyous and spontaneous. And times and schedules and habit make for so few opportunities for them at any rate. Nearly three hours it has taken for me to get to this point. I can't get my head around a solution. Solutions are not always the solution anyway. Now it's getting noisy out there. Time to go back to sleep and block it all out.


The Outfit
Dress: had for so long I can't recall where it is from
Jacket: Op-shopped
Necklace: cheap and cheerful jewellery store somewhere
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Ice Cream Honey'


Who wore it better?

Comments

  1. So beautifully written and might I say you look gorgeous today!

    Dxx


    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shoes! They look great with the entire look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was holding out for a big announcement at the end. Maybe next time.

    P.S. I love those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Goal is in the Journey. Except for the Journey there is no Goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! They really are stunningly gorgeous shoes if I do say so myself (I was so clever picking them!!! Creative genius. Sarcasm, in case). And, they're blue suede!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts