Day 245: Last Day of the Haute

It's check-in time for my fat-shifting progress. Check in: No progress. Have managed to successfully avoid starving fasting on several occasions in the last couple of weeks. My funny friend I—— wrote this post about the conflicting issues that happen in your brain when you diet and simultaneously fail at dieting. She is promising a solve-it-all solution on her next post. Well that's how I read it. But in the mean time I will have to keep soldiering on with the starving, and alternately trying really hard not to eat lots and lots of chocolate biscuits on 'off' days. What I really need though is to enjoy just eating good foods and excercising. How can you make yourself enjoy these things?

Irene               List_Addict

The third book I finished reading this week prompts me to ask another reading-habit question of you all. Do you read a series in order? Some, like Game of Thrones or the Fifty Shades franchise need to be read in order to make sense, don't they? Only kidding about the latter—I read the first one, complaining the whole time but unable to put it down, but wouldn't allow myself to read any of the others. But what about murder-mystery-suspense type series' where everyone who writes one book nowdays seems to write more than one? Are they truly stand-alone as they claim? I have just finished a book I picked up randomly from an 'abandoned books' locker in the girl's change rooms at work. It is Play to Kill by PJ Tracey, and it turns out to be book number five in the Monkeewrench series. It was fun enough as far as the 'people dying/other people (who happen to be game designer/hackers) working out why' scenario goes, but I found there were hinted nuances throughout the text which are obviously things you would only know if you had read the four books prior. There is something slightly annoying about the beginning of every Harry Potter book (well most of early ones) in which exposition happens all over again. It's only annoying to those who are reading the whole series, again!, but for the person who picks up a random book in a random order, it sets the scene and allows most of the books to be read alone. Although, why would you? So I suppose it hinges on what is most annoying: exposition in every book of a series (Kathy Reichs falls in this category), or, bits you have to just assume you should know about and don't. It's usually about character traits or relationships between charcaters. I don't know if I can decide. I like to read a whole detective or sleuth's journey. Possibly because it's a list-ticking challenge that suits my personality type. But for the occasions where I just want a random read, it is getting slightly annoying that so much of what is produced now is not stand-alone, but more a resut of marketing and capture of an audience. Books are not just books anymore. Damn. Except if you are a writer, not-damn.

Today is the last day of my haute couture fashion. Somehow I managed fifteen outfits even though every time I worked it out it came to two week's worth. Today's inspiration is a skewed mid-century look as seen at Rochas and Lanvin, with a little wrap-around Diane Von Furstenberg thrown in. I've enjoyed this project—it pushed me. And I can't believe that after only two weeks (and a day) of looking at A/W 2013, the S/S 2014 is also already starting to feature. It's an endless cycle of change: thank goodness for op/thift shops/stores.


The Outfit
Dress (under; looks like a top): Op-shopped
Dress (over): Op-shopped
Tutu: ModCloth
Skirt: Op-shopped
Necklace: CCJJSS
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Burlesque Beauty'


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Linky today with:



Lena B, Actually




Comments

  1. Feeling a little under pressure now, but I have commenced my experiment on my hypothesis and will try to report results in a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure. I'll just keep eating chocolate biscuits until I hear from you :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous dresses together make for an even more fabulous outfit! Nice one!! thanks for linking up to passion for fashion, hope to see you again tomorrow!xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts