Skip to main content

Day 248: No Hidden Meaning

I have been neglecting my 52 Lists over at Meet Me at Mikes, so I am getting back on track today with (some of) my Favourite Words. Now there is a subject close to my heart. Here we go with words, what they mean (just in case), and why I like them:

Verisimilitude: the quality of appearing to be true or real*.
A word that sounds intriguing and stands for an intriguing concept—when things are said to 'appear' to be real it opens the idea up that they are not.

Segue: making a transition from one thing to another, smoothly and without interuption.
I do it often, but probably more wildly and randomly than smoothly. I like that it's often mispelled because of its pronunciation and that it reminds me of those weird stand-up scooters.

Antipathy: a feeling of aversion or dislike.
This is a disguise word for me, like 'disillusion': it seems to me to have the essense of the opposite of its meaning. I can't explain that, and it may actually just be my ignorance. But, hey, this is my list.

Sniffestigate: the act of exploring your world through smell (this isn't in a dictionary, I made it up to explain what dogs do on walks).
Of course I like a word I coined—no brainer!

Irene               List_Addict

Meta-anything: Well, maybe not every meta-, but I love the theory meta-s, the ones, when added to a discipline, become an exploration, especially via the discipline, of the discipline. Confused? Me too. That's why I love them. An example is 'metafiction' which uses fiction to explore the nature of what fiction is. They are endless conundrums(great word) to get intellectually lost in.

Anthropomorphic: the making to resemble the human of the non-human, for example animals, objects or deities.
Without this we don't have cartoons, myths and fables or really entertaining advertising—think talking animals, talking foodstuffs, talking cleaning products. Do I need to continue?

The 'i' words:
Iconoclastic: attack on beliefs, principle, laws or ideas on the grounds of their being based on error, superstition or lack of creativity. (While the principle of being iconoclastic needs to exist for the idea of free speech, it is the sound of the word that I love rather than the meaning. It sounds like cymbals clashing through a word.)
Idiosyncratic: relating to the characteristics of an individual person.
Insouciant: free from worries or cares.
I am drawn for some reason to the sound of words that begin with the letter 'i'. I find them musical.

Juniper: a tree, the berries of which are used in the process of making gin.
While a gin and tonic is refreshing and yummy with lots of lines or lemons in it, the word is one I roll around in my mouth because I like it, like I like a lolly. I like it so much it is one of my pseudonyms.

*All definitions come from my paraphrase of Dictionary.com.

P.s: Just so you don't think I am the great un-washed, see this post for an explanation of my Tag-in, Tag-out outfit inspirations at the moment. One items everyday gets carried to the next. I'm saving me some washing powder!


The Outfit
Dress (Tag-in): Op-shopped
Jumper (Tag-out): Op-shopped
Bracelets: Various cheapy shops, more expensive shops and gifted items
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Felt Attack'


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Putting a link on with:

Real Girl Style Link Up


STYLELIXIR Style Sessions


Comments

  1. Some of my favourites;
    Ephemeral, Vicissitude, Androgynous, Copacetic,Antithesis, Dichotomy, Evanescence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All amazing choices! 'vicissitude' is like mouth tickling, and copacetic is so soothing. I know you held back with that truncated list too. :)))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 279: Entertainment and Wishes

I have brain-freeze from a three hours/three hours/ten hours-during-the-day sleeping pattern over the last three days twenty-four hour periods (that ole chestnut, again) and so even though it is not Sunday, I am getting in early and loosening the clenched up brain cells by cheating on topic ideas with Sunday Social. Their link actually goes up tommorrow so be sure to check back and see what everyone else had to say when Sunday eventually does roll around.

Q: What is currently on your wish list?

A: I need nothing. Nothing. So let's talk about want. I want to be able to find some amazing thrifted pieces on my upcoming (eight sleeps) trip to the States. Luck and fate will have a lot to do with it, but I would be very happy to find some, or all, of the following as well: a chambray shirt, a real bomber jacket (just got one that I had different ideas about when I bought it from SheInside—it's really just a fleece jacket), belts, a vintage leather jacket, more tutus, sumptuous f…

Wear 1: Dropped My Shopping.

Day One of three hundred and sixty-five pictures of Irene (left) and I (right) on the internet. We're using it as a way to develop or realise a fashion style, and as a friendly competition as to who wore it better? Like every journey or quest, this year's project will teach me a little, make me think a bit and lend me some laughs and enjoyment. I hope also to slowly make sure everything in my clothes closet and my shoe closet is utilised: even perhaps the bags and boxes of outrageous, or not, op-shopped (thrifted) items secreted in cupboards and under beds. Other hopes: fewer words (believe it or not), more pictures and time to catch up on unfinished blogs from the last three years!



I had my outfit planned, but as I dressed this morning for work, I, well, chickened out. I lost the cape and replaced it with a black cardigan. I thought my work colleagues would think I looked strange and slightly overdressed. Lesson One: I am not brave in person (posting a silly picture on the in…

Day 348: My Favourite Colour

Who: Melanie at Bag and Beret

What: The Travelling Yellow Skirt Freak Show

When: A while ago (have I told you trying to buy a house keeps getting in my way!)

Where: At, around and in the vicinity of ACCA

Why: Do you even have to ask?

Who Else: B—— for the photos, Melbourne Bike Share for the props (although I did pay for that, and we spent so long riding around getting moving pictures that they charged me again so I am not really sure why I am telling you about them: this isn't a plug, except that they are quite cool!)

What the ?: Sunshine incarnate in the form of a yellow skirt travels the world searching for women, bold and beautiful, who make it their own for a day, or a week and share their own take on its joyous light with everyone out there who thinks that being an exceptional individual with the daring and bravado to walk your own way, strut your own stuff and be your own you is a good thing! That's my take on it, but you can read the full story on the link to the skir…