Day 294: Here She Goes Again!

Go with the logic here. In the pursuit of my birthday goals (1-9), I am endeavouring to finish a Book Challenge. I know I already have three challenges on the go (Eclectic 2013, Autumn and Goodreads (see side bar)), but they all end soon and so I need to have a new challenge in order to have a challenge to finish. Introducing Book'd Out's Eclectic Reader Challenge 2014. I like doing these because they stretch my genres. I like a nice long stretch of the genre—it's like a Thai massage when they fold you like a pretzel and lean on you with full body weight. Sort of like that. It gets me out of pattern, which in turn makes me realise I am in a pattern and that getting out makes me grumpy and that that is silly. In other words it makes me do something I don't want to do in order to realise there is no real reason to not want to do it. Make sense?

Irene               List_Addict

In the interest of thriftiness I am going to try and fill this list with books I already own—hard copy or Kindle. Chances are the really stretchy genres will not be in my collection, so a certain amount of shopping may be required. Two of the books in the 'have to buy' category are on Scribd. Scribd is like Oyster (see me coveting Oyster here) but is available to Australians. For some reason it doesn't attract me in the same way. Maybe it is the website design? Maybe, because it is available, it makes itself less desirable? Maybe I realise that I have enough books already? Is there such a thing? I will probably, when this challenge starts, give the free month a go and see how that works out for me. In the mean time, here are the books I will read for the challenge:

  • Award Winning: I'm going the biggen'—the Pulitzer. Gone With The Wind; Margaret Mitchell; Kindle.
  • True Crime (Non Fiction): This one is a long-wanted-to-read. In Cold Blood; Truman Capote, Bookshelf.
  • Romantic Comedy: I like to watch them, but I don't own any? The Boy Next Door; Meg Cabot; Purchase or Scribd.
  • Alternate History Fiction: I have been itching to get into the Chabon oeuvre. The Yiddish Policeman's Union; Michael Chabon; Bookshelf.
  • Graphic Novel: This has been in my Goodreads wishlist for as long as I have had one. V for Vendetta; Alan Moore and David Lloyd; Purchase.
  • Cosy Mystery Fiction: I have a series of Cosy Mystery Fiction on my Kindle. Go figure? But I don't have the first book in the series so rather than thinking of this as a purchase, I think of it as an investment in the future (of the other books). The Cat Who Could Read Backwards; Lillian Jackson Braun; Investment or Scribd.
  • Gothic Fiction: I liked the film, I think I will like the book. Shutter Island; Dennis Lehane; Kindle.
  • War/Military Fiction: Not a genre I like, so it isn't surprising I have nothing here. The Watch; Joydeep Roy-Bhattacharya; Purchase.
  • Anthology: I fancied an anthology of reworked fairy tales. My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales; Kate Bernheimer (editor); Purchase.
  • Medical Thriller Fiction: I didn't think I could get World War Z to squeeze adequately into the genre so I looked at a slightly more realistic medical issue—pro-active bacteria swarms. Prey; Michael Crichton; Kindle.
  • Travel (Non Fiction): The only travel non-fiction I own seems to be Bill Bryson; it is time for something else. I own the book in which the author returns to his original text, published scores of years earlier, and I have heard he is a condescending git, so I am eager to read a little of this man, even though it means I have to buy the book. The Great Railway Bazaar; Paul Theroux; Purchase.
  • Published in 2014: I can't own this as it hasn't happened yet. I am researching. I looked at James Ellroy's Perfidia, but that will require reading his previous L.A. quartet of books and I am, believe it or not, trying to limit new books-to-read piles. Stay tuned. Gone Girl; Gillian Flynn; Purchase.



The Outfit
Clearing the Closet: It’s time to go beloved orange jacket—you were a great friend, but we grew apart. It happens. I still love you, but I need to make room for new friends. Oooh, that sounds so callous!
Dress: Op-shopped
Jacket: Op-shopped
Knee Highs: Gifted
Necklace: Lovisa
Shoes: Irregular Choice 'Love Bug'


Photographer de Jour: Moi


Who wore it better?

Linky today with:

eclecticchallenge2014



Join us! Click the Spotlight


stillbeingmolly


Comments

  1. Ahh, what a reading list - I could go back to bed right now and start in on a medical thriller. Love your statement necklace too! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, a list addict, right up my alley. Although sometimes I try to quit...that's when I do it on scrap paper. The down side is I never throw them away, the lists that is. ?! Let's not go there. Love the Irene vs. vous fashion photos. Thanks for stopping by Project Minima too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shoes, I have been so busy last few weeks and so missed seeing which shoes you will wear next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've reminded me that it has been absolutely ages since I looked at the Irregular Choice website! Eek!! Where are my priorities? Hope you have a fabby New Year xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your feedback and comments. I read them all lovingly and try to respond to as many as I can. At the very least I go over and see where you have come from. Love it!

Popular Posts